Materre & Associates, P.C. provides counseling to clients in alcohol regulatory, real estate, commercial business transactions, and media talent services. Whether you are a supplier, distributor or retailer, we provide competent counsel and business advice for clients on all three tiers to help you navigate the complicated alcohol regulatory arena. Federal and state rules are difficult to understand and we deliver our expertise and personal guidance to help you understand the nuances. For all of your real estate needs, we provide competent counsel gained from our many years of experience. We can assist you with one-on-one consulting and offer sound advice to help you feel at ease with your transaction and ensure legal protection.
If you are media talent in need of contract negotiations, you deserve the best contract possible, and to receive expert guidance during your employment. With our many years of experience in the media industry, we provide expertise in understanding what is attainable during negotiations to put you at an advantage when sealing the deal. We pride ourselves on providing superior, quality services with timely responses without sacrificing attention to detail.
About Gloria L. Materre — Principal Attorney
A proven leader and accomplished executive, Materre has served the legal needs of clients for more than two decades. Her leadership abilities enable her to provide trusted, practical counsel to clients on a wide variety of matters, ranging from alcohol regulatory counseling to real estate transactions to media talent representation. She places a priority on building and facilitating relationships, bringing parties together and working tirelessly to move projects forward. As a recognized leader in the Illinois business community, Materre was appointed by Illinois Governor Pat Quinn to serve in executive leadership roles in state government. In 2009 she served as his Deputy Chief of Staff and was later appointed to serve as Executive Director of the Illinois Housing Development Authority and the Illinois Liquor Control Commission, allowing her to further utilize her abilities to bring positive change across the state. These roles also have provided her with unique insight into the challenges faced by her clients, as she is able to examine issues from both a legal and business standpoint. Prior to her stint in government Materre built a successful national practice as principal of Materre & Associates, P.C., from 1995-2009, with her team servicing clients in the media and entertainment industries and practicing in real estate and corporate law. Relaunched in June 2017, Materre & Associates, P.C. will continue to service client needs with the addition of the valuable knowledge gained in government advising clients on alcohol regulatory and government matters.
“Why settle for mediocrity when you can have superiority in service, work product and expertise.”
— Gloria L. Materre
Materre started her professional career in journalism at the public relations firm of Golin Harris Communications, Inc., after graduating from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1988 with a bachelor’s degree in journalism. Later she joined the prestigious firm of Edelman Public Relations Worldwide as an account executive. Passionate about the media industry, and a life long goal of obtaining a law degree to use the degrees together, Materre enrolled in the University of Illinois College of Law, where she was taught undergraduate writing classes at the University of Illinois, and served as a graduate teaching assistant in the urban planning department.
Materre has had stints in private practice with the law firms of Landau Omahana & Kopka, Berger Newmark & Fenchel, and Dinsmore & Shohl, LLP where she was a partner in the corporate group.
During the course of her accomplished career, Materre was a legal writing instructor at the John Marshall Law School, served on numerous boards including the Community Media Workshop, Mount Sinai Hospital, Local Initiatives Support Corporations (LISC), National Association of Black Journalists, and she has participated in many public speaking engagements, which she continues to this day.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- September 19-20, 2013—18th National Conference on Wine, Beer & Spirits Law, San Diego, CA, Panelist: The Legal Hurdles That Retailers Face
- October 2013—Leadership in Alcohol Regulation--Inaugural annual award by the Center For Alcohol Policy recognizing the work of Alcohol Regulators who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in alcohol regulation efforts, and in creating programs that have achieved positive results highlighting best practices that serve as examples for other states.
- September 3-5, 2014—Center for Alcohol Policy, Seventh Annual Alcohol Law and Policy Conference, Chicago, IL, Panelist: Counterfeit Alcohol, A Global vs. United States Perspective
- June 7, 2014—Chicago Cannabis Conference, Chicago, IL, Panelist: Regulatory Aspects of Medical Cannabis
- January 30, 2015—Illinois Grape Growers and Vintners Association: Illinois Wine Festival, Panelist: Legal Issues for Wineries, Permits, Regulations and Policies
- June 22, 2016—Target Risks Before Risks Target You: 2016 Employer's Toolkit - June Breakfast Briefing, Dinsmore & Shohl, LLP
- June 26-29, 2016—National Conference of State Liquor Administrators (NCSLA), Chicago, IL. Moderator: Is Consolidation the New Norm for The Beverage Alcohol Industry? How Mergers and Acquisitions are Impacting the Industry
- June 2016—Contributing author to Moonshiner to Craft Distillery Leading Lawyers on the Business of Distilling, Aspatore (2016). “Inside the Minds” series providing readers with proven business and legal intelligence from C-Level executives and lawyers. Chapter entitled Demand for Variety Creates Craft Distillery Boom as Laws Struggle to Keep Pace”.
- March 12-14 2017—National Alcohol Beverage Control Attorneys (NABCA) Legal Symposium 2017—Member of Conference Program Planning Committee. Moderator of panel: The Craft Conundrum.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Barrister of the Chicago Inn of Court
- National Counsel for State Liquor Administrators
- Illinois Restaurant Association
- Trustee Ruth Page Center for the Performing Arts
- Trustee Habitat for Humanity Foundation
- Trustee Center for Tax and Budged Accountability
- Chicago Chapter of the Links, Inc.
- Leadership in Alcohol Regulation from the Center for Alcohol Policy
- Recognized in Who’s Who Among Business Owners